written by Shellie Bill
As we turned the corner into the new year of 2020, most of us had high hopes for a fresh start. Just the marketing aspect of using “2020 Vision” to capitalize on a clear and fresh look at everything around us was so appealing. Although I rarely venture outside of the jewelry industry when developing marketing plans, many companies from other industries began asking me to develop campaigns for them using this phrase. And then as we all lived it and continue to live it, the bottom dropped out. 2020 was no longer a number that was used with confidence and positivity, it became a four “number” word.
Even on the craziest of days when all things start out going the wrong way, anyone who truly knows me knows that I always try to start each day with a smile on my face. Even with that being said more often than not, I do not sugar coat things, I tend to tell it like I see it. So, here goes…
This year has sucked! We are living through a time that none of us ever could have imagined. We have been isolated from our families, our friends, our businesses, etc. We have missed weddings, funerals, births, graduations, sporting events and countless other activities that give meaning and/or enjoyment to us. This has taken a toll on the mental, physical and emotional aspects of our lives, basically who we are as people. And one more thing as if we needed anything else, this article is being written prior to the election and is being published after, there is no telling what challenges we will face after November 3rd.
Well guess what?! It is what it is and it is time to get over it!!! We have lived through other challenges before and we are still here. That is a victory in my book. This is our time to shine! We own the fourth quarter! It is definitely time to get out and sell fabulous jewelry to help make our guests’ holidays brighter.
With everything going on in the world, how do we get up in the morning and face each day with the same motivation, determination and drive to do this as we have in the past? Some days are definitely easier than others, but I have found activities that have helped me keep happy and healthy, which makes it easier to start each day with a genuine smile on my face!
Anyone who has ever flown has heard the announcement regarding the procedure of what to do if oxygen masks are need. Take care of yourself first before helping others! While selling is not a life or death situation, the same principles apply in all aspects of life! You need energy to give energy, whether good or bad. Choose good and take care of yourself first before going out onto the sales floor.
Here is a list of a few of my favorites:
- Get outside for a walk in the sunshine and breathe in the fresh air. Did you know that it is recommended for you to get 10-15 minutes of sunshine each day? Not only will this help your production of Vitamin D, but it can also help boost your mood and help to give you a better night’s sleep. Who wouldn’t want that?
- Exercise. Yes, time is of the essence during the holidays, but setting time aside to exercise not only can have a positive effect on your physical health, it also releases endorphins that can improve your mood.
- Set time aside each day to meditate or say positive affirmations. No time, you say? We are all experts in multitasking. We certainly could not be successful in this business if we weren’t! Use the time during a short walk, while you are getting ready for the day or while you are falling asleep to listen to and repeat affirmations. Saying affirmations on daily basis can help you shift your mindset to increase your positivity and decrease your stress.
- Whether you want a facial, a massage, a mani/pedi, something else or all of the above, you deserve some spa time before the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. Pick up the phone and set those appointments now. Not only will this give you time for peace and relaxation, but we all know that it is easier to sell jewelry when you are looking and feeling your best!
- Need some help getting into the holiday spirit? Bake some cookies! It does not have to be the monumental task of baking dozens upon dozens, even slice and bake will do. Not only will baking put that sweet aroma in the air, you will be a hero if you bring these goodies with you to your store!
- Watch a holiday movie with your family or friends. Pick a feel-good classic and turn off the noise of the world and enjoy the time spent together.
- The last one is probably my all-time favorite! Take time to watch either the sunrise, sunset or gaze at the stars at night (or all three). Watching the breathtaking, magnificence of nature can put everything in perspective. No matter what is going on in the world, there is always beauty around us. Take a moment to experience it!
Again, these are just my favorite things to do to keep happy, healthy and maintain a positive attitude. Ask your associates to make a list of their own. It will help you know what they need to keep the smiles on their faces, too. That positive energy will also pass along to your guests.
We are entering the busiest time of the year and for most of us this isn’t our first rodeo. There are always challenges to overcome and we have always come through. We are strong, resilient and have an enormous network of amazing people to support each other.
Who is ready for the best holiday season EVER??? I know, I am!